Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Take your vitamins.

I'm sick. And it couldn't come at a worse time. So, don't be like me. Take your vitamins and get lots of sleep!!! But all that aside...its movie time! Shooting cut-away/B-roll footage this weekend was an adventure that I definitely should have thought more about before I did it. I didn't realize how personal the topic was until I had ask random people on the beach if I could steal images of their purposefully-altered body and use them in a documentary that doesn't really have a strict focus, but only knows that it will, in some way, deal with cosmetic surgery and/or elective physical enhancement. I realized that I had to be very careful in how I worded my 30-second pitches to these individuals so I didn't come off as some creepy dude with a camera. It helped that the release form had "CSULB Department of Anthropology" written on the top, but I didn't always get that far. Many people who were willing to be filmed, became un-willing when a release form was mentioned. At that point, maybe they assumed that it was going to be published and broadcasted to the masses and didn't want people in Skokie, Illinois judging them. Not that the great people of Skokie, Illinois would do such a thing. I just thought it interesting.

Tin and I will be shooting our first formal interviews this week and weekend. Hopefully these will give us an idea of where our film topic will lead us. There are so many possibilities of where this film can go, its time we let the film, and our informants, take the proverbial reigns and guide us. I'm hoping that Tin and I can handle all of the technical aspects of our shoots with our two-person crew. I think that we can, it's just going to take planning and some extra time.

A good documentary to watch to observe how simple lighting and a simple background can create drama and tension in an interview...The Fog of War. Its a good flick. Great use of Dutch Angles.

Take your vitamins! Don't get sick!!! Turkey day is no fun with a fever!

No comments: