Friday, October 8, 2010

First Day of Filming

The first day of filming between myself (Justina) and Joe on Thursday, October 7, 2010 went pretty smoothly considering a few small things. Joe had begun filming the last week of September and I followed up by watching parts of that interview. I realized how incredible Slater is; I couldn't wait for the first day of filming.

Joe and I set up inside due to the sun and airplanes shortly after I arrived. We thought Slater, our interviewee, would be comfortable and in good light sitting on her couch and we continued setting up the equipment. However, the back light was a bit too bright, we needed more light on her face. Our tripod was one to be desired as well due to its lack of certain abilities: 1. does not lock at lower levels/no lower level settings, 2. the legs are loose and do not stay put, and 3. the grips or feet do not work/they slide. We need to get "sand bags" the ones with handles to place at the base of each leg when in use at lower levels. There also seemed to be some issues with the Lavalier Microphone but a little adjustment and it seemed to be fine. However, I would like to get a different material then we used to wrap around the base of the microphone.

These were all easily remedied things. Joe found a wonderful box top that happened to be silver on one side and white on the other; it was perfect. While the sun was at its brightest we used the white side as the silver was blinding for Slater. As the sun dimmed the silver side made it seem brighter. It was a good thing. As for the legs, well I have hands. We finished with the tripod, Joe operating the camera and me with headphones on my ears, holding on to the legs. It must have looked like an interesting operation.

Eventually Joe went hand held and I sat, headphones on, with Slater's gaze directed towards my position. Both Joe and I asked questions that led the interview into different moments in Slater’s life; I used Joe's direction here as he knows more about her history than I do. We wrapped the filming after two and half hours, and made plans to contact one another about the best time to film during the day.

Joe filmed today, Friday, October 8, 2010. Unfortunately I could not attend, but will be filming the next time around whenever all of our schedules meet up, most likely this coming Tuesday morning. I am expecting lighting and Lavalier issues which we will address prior to filming.

No comments: