Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Hmmm...interesting weekend editing?

Jessica and I were in the lab on Saturday from 10:30-1pm trying to get work done on two separate projects that we are doing together. My purpose for being in the lab on Saturday was not to necessarily work on our Louis film, although I was going to help Jessica with some story development for it. My main purpose for being in the lab was to work on the after-school-documentary-filmmaking project we are finishing up for our thesis project. I was trying to create the DVD menu for our youth's films they worked on for the past 9 months. Unfortunately, nothing really progressed with our Louis film or our thesis project as Jessica's attention quickly turned to the issues I was having. Needless to say, we had some major technical errors including such words like "PAL", "not compatable", and "NTSC" when trying to import our kids' films. I spent 45 gracious minutes talking with Steven, and then about an 1 and a half talking with Andy from the 1.800 Apple number I called for technical support. We figured out the issue just as Tin was arriving for 20 minutes of work before Jessica closed VAL.

Steven has been kind enough to help me learn how to work with DVD Studio Pro. He also let me borrow the tutorial so I could do some more study on my own. It's a fantastic program and by all accounts, should be fairly easy (not to mention, enjoyable) to work with. I am very much looking forward to getting our Louis film to the stage where I will be designing a menu, DVD face design, and even some DVD packaging for the film.

There's a lot of work that goes into making a film from start to finish. I'm trying not to get overwhelmed with how technical things are, and how many small mistakes you can make that eventually turn into something catastrophic. Thoughts?

No comments: