Sunday, February 15, 2009

Louis Sheldon Film

I apologize that I don't have any images to show you from my time with Louis our shell collector this Saturday.  Louis and his family were gracious enough to have Jessica and I in their home again to get thorough coverage of Louis' shell collection, Louis' enthusiasm behind a microscope searching for microshells amongst rubble (not rocks),

 

his shell research books, etc.  I even captured some intimate moments with Louis having conversations with his bi-valves, 
Drawing illustrating typical bivalve symmetry, where one valve mirrors the other
his two year-old niece, and showing his excitement as he received his bank statement in order to buy more shells...I think he was making a joke.  Lucky for us, Louis also said he thinks our film has been a good process for him to think about why he collects, researches, and devotes so much time to shell collecting.  

I am hoping to go with Louis as he visits his favorite local shell shop, Ferguson's Shells which also happens to be the shell shop highlighted by Hewell Howser in  2005 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dufQiX74WQ4) and owned by a shell club member,  on a dive for shells accompanied by his father, and back up to the Natural History Museum for better club member interactions and cutaways.
  
Welcome to the Natural History Museum

Which reminds me, Rachel and I went to Louis' shell club meeting last Sunday - despite horrific sound issues that I think were resolved, I was so glad to see Louis in a setting discussing his adventures in shell collecting and research while getting some hard-earned recognition.  It added yet another perspective, and admittedly for me, a legitimizing perspective on Louis' passion for shells.  

2 comments:

JSteaffens said...

I like these images. I wonder if we can use parts of the Huell Howsner (sp?) film for our own and what kind of copyright exists? I should order it from PBS..

littlelamb356 said...

As of right now we do not have a specific production schedule. We plan on filming nearly every weekend at least one day. We are planning a dive with Lewis and some more interviewing. We are in conversation with Lewis about what days and times we will film. When we find this out, we will update.